Thursday, June 16, 2011

St Petersburg!!



For anyone who doesn't know, we went to Saint Petersburg last week! This is me finally writing a blog about it, haha.

So. Saint Petersburg is the city that was built by Peter the Great, Russia's most European city and the "cultural capital" of the country. It is literally one giant monument to 18th century architecture and by all accounts one of the most beautiful cities in the world!

We arrived in St Petersburg at 11am after a 12 hour train ride from Yaroslavl, and went straight into sightseeing. Needless to say, we were all exhausted--but it was so worth it.

The very first thing we saw was this large spire called "Peter's Staff". It happens to be one of the most famous symbols of the city (I got a shirt with it!).

Later of course we saw Peterhof...


Catherine the Great's palace, and several beautiful churches, including this one.



We also got to walk around every night on our own. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention that the sun never set! We were able to see St Petersburg on White Nights!

Although I can't seem to find the words to write about it, I had an amazing time, and would suggest visiting St Petersburg to anyone I speak to. It was seriously amazing, and I will definitely be returning!!

For now,

From Russia, with love,

Bettina

No comments:

Post a Comment